What Are Nitrile Gloves?
Nitrile Gloves are fast becoming the glove of choice for hand protection. Nitrile rubber, also known as NBR has a natural resilience that makes it a useful material for laboratory work, dentistry, cleaning, and examination gloves. Nitrile is more resistant than natural rubber to oils and acids, and can withstand high temperatures giving them a reputation for superior strength. Nitrile gloves are more puncture-resistant and less likely to cause an allergic reaction than natural rubber so, workers who are allergic only to plastics additives are less likely to react to nitrile gloves.
What Are Nitrile Gloves Used For?
Nitrile gloves are commonly used by hospital and healthcare workers, tattooist, hairdressers, beauticians, dentist, technicians, or any job that requires a sleek glove such as the automotive and aeronautical industries, the nuclear industry, laboratories and food manufacturing.
Are Nitrile Gloves Food Safe?
Nitrile is the safest material for food contact yet some gloves are certified for food safety and some are not. Nitrile Gloves are be food safe by Australian Food Standards. However, not all gloves are HACCP Certified Food Safe, so always check with the manufacturer before using nitrile gloves with food. Nitrile is still considered the material of choice for handling foods in a safe, contaminate-free and additive-free manner. FDA and HACCP certified nitrile is used for its cleanliness and strength in food processing machinery, similarly it is the safest and strongest material for food handling gloves. Strength means a low chance of breakage and contamination. The colour of the glove also comes into consideration for food safety.
Rationale for using gloves in the medical industry:
Gloves should be worn for two main reasons:
1. To reduce the risk of contamination of health-care workers hands with blood and other body fluids.
2. To reduce the risk of germ dissemination to the environment and of transmission from the health-care worker to the patient and vice versa, as well as from one patient to another.
Gloves should therefore be used during all patient-care activities that may involve exposure to blood and all other body fluid (including contact with mucous membrane and non-intact skin), during contact precautions and outbreak situations. The efficacy of gloves in preventing contamination of health-care workers’ hands and helping to reduce transmission of pathogens in health care has been confirmed in several clinical studies.
Summary for Benefits of Nitrile Gloves:
- Nitrile Gloves are recyclable in Australia
- Nitrile Gloves are biodegradable
- Nitrile gloves have a very good puncture resistance
- Nitrile is considered the best material for handling foods in a safe, contaminate and additive-free manner.
- Nitrile Gloves mold to your hand similarly to latex, close fitting
- Nitrile Gloves are long lasting & durable
- Nitrile Gloves can be worn for longer periods of time
- Nitrile Gloves provide superior barrier protection against many chemicals & petroleum-based products
- Nitrile Gloves have a long shelf life, being synthetic
Whether you work in medicine, food processing, automotive, body art or janitorial services, Nitrile disposable gloves should be on top of your list. Because they protect well and are durable, nitrile gloves (affordable at $19.95 for a box of 100 pairs) offer good value for your safety dollar.
Ready to try some Nitrile disposable gloves in your workplace?